Re: common house meal preparation?
From: Anne Jefferson (Anne.Jeffersonnoaa.gov)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:29:02 -0700 (MST)

Heh Lon,

this was a problem I ran into at Nyland. There are several options for cooking. Usually cooking teams are at least 3 people. You can organize a potluck, weekend meal (breakfast, brunch or dinner),and also volunteer to clean up after a meal.You can also prepare something in advance, say contribute a dessert that you prepared the night before.

Anne

Lon Goldstein wrote:

I have a related question prompted by some of the recent discussion about common house meals. (From the perspective of a cohousing community still in pre-construction.) It sounds like it takes a whole day of preparation when it is your turn to be on the cooking team (I'll assume a team of at least 2, for a community meal of 20-30 people?). How do people with full-time, 9-5 jobs work this out? Do you have to take a vacation day every time it is your turn to cook? Do you just manage to choose a weekend day? Is there enough of a balance of regular 9-5ers and self-employed people to work it out? I'm interested in peoples experiences. Thanks!
Lon