Re: LGBT cohousers
From: Maggi Rohde (maggiintranet.org)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:20:01 -0700 (MST)
On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Debbie wrote:
> My partner and I are looking into co-housing and would
> be interested in talking with other lesbian, gay,
> bisexual or trans cohousers about your experiences,
> pros and cons, etc.

Hi, Debbie!  I'm not in cohousing (yet), but my friend Hope is involved
with the forming Great Oak commmunity in Ann Arbor.  She's on the list and
will almost certainly contact you.

I've found other cohousers to be very supportive and accepting of lesbian
or gay couples when they are monogamous.  I think it is the stability
(perceived or real) of the relationship that makes people feel safe --
that it won't affect their community in a negative way.  Non-monogamous
couples, triads or other unusual variations are not as accepted, but are
not necessarily a problem either.  I find cohousers as a whole to be very
open-minded folks.

I'd be interested to hear what others say about their experiences.  Could
you share them with me (feel free to remove names)?

Best of luck!

-Maggi Rohde, prospective communitarian, Ann Arbor, MI