Re: Handling disputes in cohousing
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddessattbi.com)
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:24:01 -0700 (MST)
This is truly one of those posts that humble my attempts to reply. I don't
think anything I would write would be adequate. However, there are some
thoughts that occur to me.

I've never heard of this "junior member" idea after a person has bought in
to the group. Often, groups have levels of membership according to whether
or not the member has invested in the group, but once the member has bought
in, they are full members. The only exception to this is the process of
choosing units. Many times this process alone is based on seniority, for
fainess' sake. Having a hierarchy for decision making is antithetical to
consensus. The idea that you would not be able to make upgrades to your own
home (while others can) is outrageous. This must be illegal. Anyone?

However, there are some red flags that come up for me. I have been
communicating with Rob over email for several years now, and while we
sometimes disagree, I would trust him to mediate for me. Maybe you are not
telling us everything, in the hope that we will be supportive. I would want
to hear Rob's take on this.

Also, groups have to decide what is best for the group. Sometimes that means
that there are people who shouldn't join cohousing, because their housing
needs are too specific for the group. Your needs seem like one of those
instances. I think you are right in thinking that you were accepted out of
desperation. That is very unfortunate for you and the group, and a
temptation that many groups succumb to.

I cringe at the loss of your collection. But I still have to wonder why your
expectations were so far different from the reality. I don't feel like I
have the whole story. My apologies for the limitations of this medium. I
would talk to you in person to get more information to really be able to
help.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing