Re: Cohousing and Televison: a Classic Clash of Values
From: Racheli&John (jnpalmeattglobal.net)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:27:02 -0700 (MST)
** Reply to note from Diane Simpson <coho [at] theworld.com> Thu, 31 Jan 2002
22:50:12 -0500

>From Racheli

Thanks, Diane, for a very interesting post.
I also feel that TV watching has changed the social/cultural
landscape in profound (and overwhelmingly detrimental) ways.

To give a small example which supports the conclusions of
the research cited, the arrival of TV at the Israeli kibbutz
where I was born (and where some of my family still lives)
killed much of the social activity.  For example, Friday nights
used to be the time kibbutz members would get together in
the evenings for sing-alongs and other fun activities.  Once
"Dallas" and other gems appeared on Israeli TV, attendence
dropped dramatically.  My sister tells me that they no longer
get together on Friday nights.  TV might not be the only cause
for this - having many cars, so people can easily leave for the
evening, etc. might contribute too, but it's quite obvious that
TV watching has been a major contributor to the decline in social
activities.

The above doesn't imply, BTW, that I think that TV should be
disallowed.  But the potential imlications of its use should be
taken into account.

R.