Re: Cohousing and Televison: a Classic Clash of Values
From: Michael D (ohanamdearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:09:01 -0700 (MST)
> Once
> "Dallas" and other gems appeared on Israeli TV, attendence
> dropped dramatically.  My sister tells me that they no
longer
> get together on Friday nights.  TV might not be the only
cause
> for this - having many cars, so people can easily leave for
the
> evening, etc. might contribute too, but it's quite obvious
that
> TV watching has been a major contributor to the decline in
social
> activities.

TV and cars don't cause a drop in social interaction.
People's choices do.  If people were really committed to
community involvement, TV wouldn't draw them away, nor would
any of the activities that cars could take them to.

As long as we look outside ourselves for culprits, we miss the
point.  People who really want to be in community act that way
no matter what distractions are available.

Namaste,
Michael
ohanamd [at] earthlink.net
Heart Song Community