RE: Staples for Common House Pantry?
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:05:02 -0700 (MST)
At Sharingwood we do a bulk food buy once a month for the whole community.
We are setup as a food coop and so get a big discount, I think pretty close
to wholesale prices. A big truck comes and unloads pallets which then get
distributed among the families. The commonhouse "store" also orders. What we
stock is I think all organic:
Flour, rice 2 kinds, pasta, spaghetti sauce organic, cans of tomatoes sauce,
beans 2-3 kinds, teas, boxed macaroni and cheese, maple syrup, salad
dressing several kinds, nuts, raisons, soy and other sorts of oils and
sauces, spices, peanut butter and a couple other things I am forgetting and
too lazy to walk over and look at.

Most of this is stored on 5, 8-10 foot? long shelves. The bulk things like
the beans and rice are in 3 gallon? bins with scoops, some of the nuts and
raisons are in the fridge. The big bags of flour, rice and such are stored
in the kitchen area which are used to replenish the bins. All in all it is
most excellent to have this setup, since we are kind of rural and going to
the store is  fairly good trip out. Our family relies on the bulk food buy
each month and its really hard to buy stuff at a store usually for twice
what we pay for it.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood, NE of Seattle, where there is a house and lot for sale.
www.sharingwood.org