Re: blocking consensus
From: Sara A. (mabonwymindspring.com)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 18:30:01 -0700 (MST)
At 08:15 PM 2/1/02, you wrote:
I've been told repeatedly that the only justification for blocking consensus
is that you think the proposal will harm the community, and not because you
dislike it personally.

Hmmm. I think that if something's serious enough that you would consider moving, then it's serious enough to warrant blocking.

The whole point of consensus is that it preserves the integrity of the group and values both the group as a whole and each individual therein. Placing restrictions on blocking such that someone's deep conviction that they do NOT want to do something...and can't see a workable compromise....is not likely to achieve that goal.

Is standing aside an option? Can you opt out, ie, "I don't want to do this, and I'm not going to, but I won't stop other people from doing it"

People place restrictions on blocking consensus because they envision people using it all the time and causing problems. But in reality, blocking is scary and is not something that most people will do in a group of their friends and neighbors unless they REALLY REALLY object to whatever it is.

Sara