Re: blocking consensus
From: Randa Johnson (Sarandasarc.org)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 18:35:01 -0700 (MST)
In groups using consensus, I have always used the "can I live with this
decision ?" guideline.  If you are thinking you might have to move , it sounds
like a decision you cannot live with.  I hope you can work something out with
your group.

At 08:15 PM 2/1/02, you wrote:
>I've been told repeatedly that the only justification for blocking consensus
>is that you think the proposal will harm the community, and not because you
>dislike it personally.

Hmmm.  I think that if something's serious enough that you would consider
moving, then it's serious enough to warrant blocking.

The whole point of consensus is that it preserves the integrity of the
group and values both the group as a whole and each individual
therein.  Placing restrictions on blocking such that someone's deep
conviction that they do NOT want to do something...and can't see a workable
compromise....is not likely to achieve that goal.

Is standing aside an option?  Can you opt out, ie, "I don't want to do
this, and I'm not going to, but I won't stop other people from doing it"

People place restrictions on blocking consensus because they envision
people using it all the time and causing problems.  But in reality,
blocking is scary and is not something that most people will do in a group
of their friends and neighbors unless they REALLY REALLY object to whatever
it is.

Sara