the importance of clearly defined process & power (was Re: Handling disputes in cohousing)
From: Ed Stauff (edward.stauffverizon.net)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 20:32:01 -0700 (MST)
I came into this thread a bit late, but I just read (quoted in someone
else's message) George S. Krasle's description of what was, for him, a
terrible experience at Songaia.  There are always at least two sides to
any issue, so without having heard the other side I won't presume to pass
judgement.  However, his experience resonates with a bad experience of my
own, and prompts me to say the following:

There is *NOTHING* more important in a new cohousing group than to get its
decision-making process and power structure established, clearly and in
writing, as early as possible, and agreed upon by all the members.
Without this critical element, any decisions that are made have no
foundation to support them and give them validity.  If any reasonable form
of consensus is to be used, then the decision-making process and structure
must be made reasonably secure against a power-grab by a small minority of
the members.  For example, a small executive or steering committee must
not have the power to change the decision-making process without the
consent of the entire membership.  I call this "trust based on checks and
balances".  Once I know that the rules we are agreeing to abide by
effectively prevent abuse of power, then I'm free to act from a position
of trust.

It is, of course, equally important that every member (and every
prospective member!) understand the decision-making process and power
structure.

-- Ed