Re: blocking consensus
From: Margaret Weatherly (martiewearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 21:05:02 -0700 (MST)
Kay, here in Liberty Village we have been doing a lot of work with consensus
and the provision for blocking consensus.

One thing that may be missing in your group is the group taking on any one
person's concerns as the group's concern. We are learning to honor each other's
opinions, which is not easy to do when they are directly opposite"mine". We
have learned to sit and listen to someone who does not agree with the group.

Consensus is a different way of thinking than we are used to. It requires
learning how to state your personal concern and then give it up as personal and
have it taken on as a concern of the group. This takes some learning, both for
the individual and for the group.

Sometimes we need to take a break or have a minute of silence to refocus
ourselves on our mission as a group.  Then we search for the wisdom of the
group with less bickering.

It is amazing that as we work an issue through, we do come up with a 3rd or 4th
or tenth ideration of an issue that is acceptable to all.  We have done some
specific work on blocking, and our consensus procedure includes requirements of
the person blocking and of the group.  We do allow the group to override a
block that is seen to be for personal reasons and not in line with the mission
statement and for the good of the group.  We have not had to do that yet, and
we would not do it without some time to think through the issue and reconsider
it at the next meeting. Taking care of the person who is blocking in an
important part of the process.

When you ask about the formal consensus process, do you  mean the consensus
process in general, or  Formal Consensus as put forward by C.T. Butler? That
specific model  includes a way of handling a block.

It does not sound as if you feel heard by the community, and that might be the
first place to start. Sometimes it is good for the community to try exercises
where people switch sides of an emotional issue to see what it is like.
Sometimes the issue that the one person brings up turns out to be for the best
of the community. You can be sure that at some time each person in the
community will feel like the "odd man out."

You could also stand aside as has been mentioned. I would hope your community
has done some groundwork on what that means and how it is recorded.  It is
important to know exactly how that will be handled and what your commitments
are or are not if you stand aside. Good luck!

Martie Weatherly
Liberty Village Cohousing
Libertytown, MD
martiew [at] earthlink.net