Re: diversity recruitment
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsgnewview.org)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 14:42:01 -0700 (MST)
Reflecting on what went well, and what didn't, in our diversity efforts at
New View (Acton MA) I'd say a key element is finding (or being found by..) a
'critical mass' of a minority group, early on. That way, those folks don't
have to feel they are the 'only one', they have each other for support, and
their early involvement can effect the group's activities and norms in such
a way that others like them can recognize that "this is a place for me,
too".

-Jim

(where our collective activities these days seem focussed on clearing out
snow & ice & spreading sand & various types of ice melters -- although we
did have a successful recent evening of 'ribald cabaret entertainment' in
cooperation with a new local entertainment troup).

Jim Snyder-Grant
jimsg [at] newview.org
18 Half Moon Hill
Acton MA 01720