Blocking Consensus
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 14:46:01 -0700 (MST)
RoseWind used "On Conflict and Consensus" as our guidebook for consensus
process. The way blocking is defined therein could be potentially
controversial. We've never come right up against it, but it is something
to contemplate.

I quote, "A blocking concern must be based on a generally recognized
principle, not personal preference, or it must to essential to the entire
group's well-being. Before a concern is considered to be blocking, the
group must have already accepted the validity of the concern and a
reasonable attempt must have been made to resolve it. If legitimate
concerns remain unresolved, and the person has not agreed to stand aside,
consensus is blocked."

My  unease comes with the necessarily subjective component of what is
principle vs what is preference? Samantha opposes adopting the annual
assessment budget because "that's just too much". If she wouldn't be
satisfied by an arrangement to meet her personal financial constraints,
for example, but holds that Cohousing shouldn't Cost $100 a month, well
she might think that's a principle. Maybe  not the best example, but you
can think of others. We usually claim that our "preference" (at least one
strong enough to brave the peer pressure of bucking consensus) stems from
some principles.

And then there are items which are clearly based on principles, but not
necessarily principles espoused by the group as a whole. You see where
this gets murky. If the group gets to implicitly vote on whether my
disagreement is "just" preference, am I being held, in Quaker consensus
fashion, to really hold "a piece of the truth"? If I'm a lone dissenter,
isn't it pretty likely that the others will not validate my dissent?

 What do you think about this as a useful way to define "acceptable"
blocking?

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com