Kids in meetings
From: Marty Roberts (MartyRsonic.net)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:52:01 -0700 (MST)
Hi Patty,

Your post about your daughter ties right in with a "discussion" we are
having currently at Two Acre Wood.  We have an 11 year old girl - the oldest
child in the community - who has been sitting in on our GMM's.  Some people
have been uncomfortable with this because they feel they have to adapt their
comments, behavior, etc. to fit having a child in the room.  Others feel it
is great that she is interested.  It has grown to a somewhat emotional
level.

I am curious to hear from other communities if they allow children in their
business meetings and at what age does this generally begin.

Patty's story is a great testament to the idea.  Patty did your daughter
start coming to meetings at age 10?  Was it easily accepted by all?

One other facet to this is that we made a group decision way back in the
pre-development days, that we would all contribute to pay for good childcare
(whether or not we had kids), in order to allow our meetings to be efficient
and uninterrupted.  So, there has been a general understanding of no kids in
meetings.  But now this child is too old for childcare, so.....
Comments welcome - thanks--

Marty Roberts
Two Acre Wood, Sebastopol, CA

>Because my daughter Lauren was 10 when we first started attending
meetings with the Tierra Nueva core group, and age 18 when we finally
moved into our cohousing home (Tierra Nueva, central CA coast), she was
steeped in group facilitation information, as well as conflict
resolution.  In addition, she was listened to, respected by the group and
had a "thumb" (voting here uses a thumb up for approval, thumb sideways
for "I have a question or concern", thumb down for block)