RE: Cohousing-L: on list? off list? moderated? rip a new what?
From: Ruddick, T.R. (RUDDICKedison.cc.oh.us)
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:06:00 -0700 (MST)
Personally, I would prefer that George keep posting "the truth as he knows
it" to this list as long as he wants, so long as his posts don't get longer
than the staggeringly epic proportions he's gifted us with so far, nor more
frequent than a couple a day.  Although it might be disappointing to hear
that cohousing can fail, we might learn the most from those for whom it's
failed.

I also support the rights of others on this list to rebuke George, however
my values about how to do it might be at odds.  I dislike personal attacks
(ever hear of being tough on the problem and not the person) and I confess a
reduced level of respect for people who will say things in personal email
that they'd be embarrassed to share in public.  (Expressions of personal
intimacy excepted :-)! )

If George is distorting things, and you care, it would be more productive
(for me, at least) if you could provide evidence or invite debate from
different perspectives--don't just tell him to shut up and quit being who he
is.  At present, although I am quite familiar with perceptual distortions, I
have no reason to conclude that his accounts of his dealings with Songaia
are seriously distorted.  I'd appreciate more data.

As for this list being moderated--I've had this discussion elsewhere and
it's a sore point with me.  This list is moderated: the moderator acts as
our host, making sure we understand (as much as can be expected) how to
enter and leave the discussion, and going the extra mile to include messages
that were mis-posted so that everyone who wants it has a voice.  I deeply
appreciate the work that's put in to moderating this list!

Many people on-line think that "moderated" means that all messages are
pre-screened, and only those that pass muster are posted.  The correct term
for that (dictionaries, students!) is censorship.  We don't have censorship,
and I would probably leave this list if it were implemented, thanks.

TR Ruddick
dayton cohousing
home.earthlink.net/~daytoncohousing