Re: resale advice needed
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddessattbi.com)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:14:01 -0700 (MST)
>  Do realtors understand
> cohousing well enough to be helpful and worth the cost?  Do the online MLS
> listings work?
> Thanks for any advice.
> Nancy
 NO! Realtors do not understand cohousing, and they will not get your unit
sold. We had a disaffected member try to sell her unit through a realtor and
it was a disaster. We then marketed it for her, but by then she was so
desperate to sell that she accepted a very reduced price for it, which was
unnecessary.

Also, and this is crucial, *when you sell through a realtor, you must let
anyone buy it who offers the asking price*. You could very easily get
someone who has absolutely no interest in cohousing and would not
participate at all, and you would have no legal recourse.

We have gotten the most interest by word of mouth, but when we had a website
up and running, we got tons of people who wanted to buy in. I can tell you
for sure that the interest came from the website, because both before we had
it and after it went down, we got hardly any inquiries.

The community can buy the unit from the member, and then market it, if
that's a financial possibility.

Places we used to advertise, with success, before we moved in:

the local food co-op
liberal churches
independent newspapers
cultural events

Also, we got the local paper to do articles on us in the real estate
section. That's how I found the group. But that's more of a before-move-in
thing.

By far the most response was from the website.

Good luck!

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing