Re: How hard is partnering with housing authorities? -- Shelly DeMeo
From: Diane Simpson (cohotheworld.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 19:59:01 -0700 (MST)
Hi Shelly (and all)

Remember what John Conner just said, a few messages back?

"If your site is urban find someone (developer, construction company,
architect)
who really knows the local government and is known to them.  You will be
dealing with a lot of little empires."

Good luck,
John Conner
- - - - - - -
Kraus/Fitch architects did excellent work for us. They put a lot of effort
into putting together homework assignments that make the group really THINK
about how they are going to use the site.  They are very good at it, and
they use a variety of facilitation techniques to make the workshops
interesting and fun, even though they involve a lot of excruciating
decisions. I would recommend them very highly.  If you think 3.5 acres is
tight, you are not talking about urban anything.  Our prelimanary plans
call for 30 units on 0.9 acres.  That's urban!

We had to go with an urban architectural firm in order to deal with all the
"little empires."   But they cannot hold a candle to Kraus/Fitch in terms
of cohousing process.

--Diane Simpson
   Jamaica Plain Cohousing, Boston, Massachusetts

>We recently completed all the progamming and preliminary design for
>Jamaica Plain (Boston) Cohousing, before they hired a Boston firm.
> Since  then we have worked with this firm through the schematic design
>phase.  We really have enjoyed the process.  I would encourage you to
>talk to Jamaica Plain Cohousing members and/or this Boston firm
>(Domenick, Hicks & Krockmalnic) to see if they feel they got good value
>from this arrangement.  I think they did!
>
>Best,
>Laura Fitch
>
>--
>Laura Fitch, A.I.A.
>Principal Architect

                                DSIMPSON [at] JPCOHOUSING.ORG
                       Diane Simpson  http://jpcohousing.org
          P.O.Box 420,Boston, MA, USA 02130-0004  617-522-2209
INFORMATION SESSION SUNDAY MARCH 10  5:30 P.M. 82 GREEN STREET
            1 BLOCK FROM GREEN STREET T STATION ON THE ORANGE LINE