Re: Sociocracy (response to "blocking consensus" and long)
From: Sheila Braun (sheila.braunworldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:04:00 -0700 (MST)

> >3) Each equity member writes on a scrap of paper, "Sheila recommends
Bob,"
> >or whatever.
>
> Can you recommend more than one person?

No. What benefit might there be to that? Are you thinking that it might be
easier to get a sense for who will meet with no objection if people can
nominate more than one person?

> >    As each vote is read, the voter is asked to give a rationale for his
or
> >her vote.
>
> I love the openness of this.  Yet i also wonder if you lose out on
> important information because people are scared to say what they really
> think in front of each other?

Perhaps. I'm not sure how else the information might be given to the group.
If people are scared to say what they really think in front of each other,
how might a secret vote solve that problem?

> Wow!  Very different.  Facilitators in consensus are *especially* never
> supposed to facilitate their own proposals.  (I mean in real life all
kinds
> of things happen, but there are reasons to avoid it.)  There's too much
> danger that if someone disagrees the facilitator will fall into defending
> the proposal, in which case there's no one to hold safe space for the
> participants, especially any who disagree or want changes.  The role of
> presenter (proposer) is just very different from that of facilitator.  The
> presenter should be allowed to assert their opinions, while also being
> open-minded about modifications.  Whereas the facilitator is there to
> ensure all voices are heard and integrated.

Very interesting point. Hmm. I've asked the newly formed sociocracy
listserv. Are you on that list?

> Thanks for this dialogue, which i am really enjoying and learning a lot
> from.  I really hope to sit in on a sociocratic meeting some time to see
> what you're talking about in action.  Do you know of any groups using the
> method out here on the west coast?

No, I don't, but of course drop in any time you're in the neighborhood of
Vermont.

:) Sheila