Re: RE: dues and an experimental structure
From: Selwyn Polit (selwynaustintx.com)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 07:27:01 -0700 (MST)
In Austin, Texas, we are in a similar situation. We have 4 coho groups in the forming stages and we have created an organization called CACTUS. (Cohousing Association of Central Texas - Umbrella Services) You can read more about CACTUS at www.AustinProgressiveCalendar.com/cactus. We have existed for 6 months now and are going to have a "Cohousing 101" event in Austin this coming Sunday (March 3) where interested people can learn a little about cohousing, talk to the folks working on creating the communities and get connected. We have also set up a discussion group on yahoogroups (http://groups.yahoo.com/) where we now have 55 members. People have an easy time joining the Cactus group and can keep abreast of progress. We are also working on getting some funding to put on a big coho education extravaganza to really give cohousing a boost in this area.

Selwyn

Here in Dayton OH we are in the very first stages of organizing. We've met,
set up email discussion and web sites, assigned primary author for charter
documents and public relations, another member is shopping for attorneys,
another is coordinating our first public outreach meeting. Four or five
households strong, so far!

But on another level we think it might be good to organize a sort of
"umbrella" organization that could act as central resource/recruitment
organization for as many cohousing projects as our region would generate.
The thought process is that Dayton Cohousing, Inc., would be a cheap
organization to join and would require little active involvement by most
members: its function would be to publicize cohousing, recruit, advise,
consult, promote, and generate cohousing projects but not to actually build
or maintain them.  It would be run by a small elected board.  Our urban
retrofit would be the first affiliate; as we go along, others may want to do
lofts, suburban, rural, cheap, expensive, and other communities.  Each
community would operate independently.

Selwyn Polit
(512)926-7876
<mailto:selwyn [at] austintx.com>selwyn [at] austintx.com
http://www.TexasTeaHouses.com