Re: mission statement question
From: Robyn Williams (poviinet.net.au)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:38:02 -0700 (MST)
> Start with exploring what your common purpose is and work
> toward a mission statement when your group is more solid.

I agree with this.  You can do something simple like, ask each person to
write something about what they envision for themselves and why each wants
to be part of cohousing.  Each new person can look at the current ones and
write theri own.  You'll soon ge a picture.  So start with individuals,
which will eventually feed into a group mission.

Perhaps the people who are currently there can make a rough/draft list of
elements, eg sutainability principles or aim for consensus, without getting
into the detail.  You'll have something to give new people.

It's a bit of a courting process at the early stage.

Robyn Williams
Pinakarri Community
Fremantle, Western Australia

PS  We had 'deep listening' from the beginning, but our statement of purpose
didn't arrive for eight years:
"Through Pinakarri - deep listening - we learn to love more completely."

Overtly stating the L word came as a bit of a surprise and was a wonderful
moment when it happened.