Re: Seeing-eye dogs and common house pet policies
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 16:32:00 -0700 (MST)
>  We have already
> passed a pet policy that allows pets in private units but forbids them in
> the common areas.  Have any other groups run into the problem of an owner
> needing a seeing-eye dog to get around inside the community and what have
> you done about it?

We had the same issue from the start -- and set the policy that no animals
were allowed in the commonhouse except working animals. By law, work animals
cannot be banned from public places.

But it is also true that work animals are more disciplined than other
animals and do not cause the same problems. They do not run around on
furniture spreading hair or dander. They receive regular grooming and do not
run loose outside. If told to stay off the carpet, they do.

Ours is attached physically to her master's wheelchair so she does not stray
but all the working dogs I have known were attached in some way to their
master.

How the other dogs feel about this privilege is another question.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org