Re: Process cards
From: George and Rosannah Stone (gnrstoneeasystreet.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 11:44:01 -0700 (MST)
At 08:01 AM 4/1/02 -0700, you wrote:

>Those of you who use the colored process cards in your group: could you
>speak a bit about your impression of these?
>Maggi Rohde

Hi Maggi,

When my wife attended our first meeting of Portlandia Cohousing in the fall
of '95, we were amazed and intrigued by the color process cards.  When we
became members of the group, which had changed its name in the meantime to
Cascadia Commons, in January 1996, we felt a bit awkward using the cards for
the first few meetings, but with the help of the text on each card soon
caught on.  In the long course of our development since, we all have come to
rely heavily on the cards -- coudn't imagine trying to run a large group
meeting without them.  We don't use them ordinarily for committees or
smaller groups.  New folks seem to catch on quickly, and I can't recall
anyone ever having objected to them as useless.

About three years ago, at a particularly tumultuous time in our development,
we invented a sixth card -- the "purple card" -- that took priority in
recognition over all others. The text on it says, " I have an emotional
response to the topic that I need to share." After the purpled one has had
her/his say, someone in the group volunteers to paraphrase, and works at it
until it is acceptable to the card user. We have found this card very
valuable when we are working on very difficult issues.  It really saves us
time and distress, and I haven't ever felt it was being abused.

George Stone
Cascadia Commons, Portland, Oregon