Re: Trading Systems
From: Howard Landman (howardpolyamory.org)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 22:54:01 -0700 (MST)
> Several coho knowledgeable folks have told me that
> construction costs are substantially higher for bathrooms and kitchens and
> thus - adding or subtracting say 25% square footage to a unit often won't
> add/subtract that much to the costs unless it relates to the necessary
> things for these two types of rooms.

Amen.  One thing I learned is that size has little to do with cost.  The
things that add up are fixtures.  A faucet might cost $120, and a window
$300 or more, whereas framing in a closet might cost $50 to $75.  Big
empty rooms cost very little except for flooring.  It's very easy to fall
into the mind-trap of thinking "affordable" means "small", when it's more
likely to mean "one less bathroom and inexpensive fixtures".

        Howard A. Landman
        River Rock Commons
        Fort Collins CO