Re:lot development model
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 07:52:02 -0600 (MDT)
>Are you aware of any lot development model cohousing communities that have
>achieved the "cozy" feel and easy sight lines to multiple neighbors
>of communities like for example Puget Ridge?
>
>Fred
I'm not sure "cozy" is the term that comes to my mind, but here at
RoseWind I'd say we have "easy sight lines." Our land is sort of amoeba
shaped, but the general layout of the housing is in a ring around a
central field, with vehicle access from the periphery to the houses, but
not across the center, where there are common areas, gardens, and
pedestrian pathways.

We have 24 home sites. From my house I can see all but 6 of them. And the
common house and the vegetable gardens. It's handy to be able to see
whose lights are on, whose car is in the driveway, who is working
outdoors.

Our 24 home sites are on 9 acres, and most houses have a 5000 sq ft lot,
so it's spread out, quite different from row houses such as Puget Ridge.
But we walk around outdoors quite a bit, as our weather is usually mild,
people are out with kids or dogs, coming and going from the common house
or each other's houses, so even if some people's houses are not visible
from your window, you are apt to see them around on a pretty regular
basis.

I like the sense of spaciousness, the light on 4 sides of the house, all
the different landscapings, and after decades of apartment living, not
hearing my neighbors' footsteps, muffled voices, and plumbing. Anyway,
the "cohousing-ness" of it can work in either tight or loose packing
arrays, apparently.

Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
www.rosewind.org
in our 14th year, with one resale available
PS It's full out spring here, emerald green everywhere and dripping with
flowers