Re: Moving out news and a question
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddessattbi.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:30:01 -0600 (MDT)
My husband used to have a long commute-two and a half hours each way by
train & bus to San Francisco. We also have a member who joined from the Bay
Area, and he commutes by going to his job three long days/week and staying
at his dad's house. Both the daily commute and the other option are
difficult on families. My husband eventually left that job and decided to
retrain for another career, since he couldn't make here what he had in SF.
The neighbor who is still doing the commute is seriously considering his
options, tired of being away from his family.

The general amount of time people seem able to tolerate for the ultra-long
commutes is about two years. After that, things just start to be too
difficult. Is it worth it? Yes. Both families were able to restructure their
lives by being flexible about one member commuting. Both would be
impossible, and it would be a temporary solution for all but the hardiest.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing