Taxation of Homeowners' Association Profits -- Blank
From: Fred H Olson (fholsontcfreenet.org)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:19:02 -0600 (MDT)
Joani Blank <joani [at] swansway.com>
is the author of the April 15 message below. Sorry for the delay.

Your homeowners' association undoubtedly pays both federal and state taxes
on interest paid to you on your reserve account, and perhaps on at least
part of your operating accounts. My question is here is, what other
"profits" does your HOA pay taxes on, if any.  In particular I'm curious
about monies collected for use of your guest room(s), or fees you may
charge to your  residents or to non-resident individuals or groups for use
of any of your commonly owned facilities or land. A member of our finance
committee believes that we are liable for 30% Federal tax (and 9 percent
California tax) on any such fees whether paid by a resident or a
non-resident (guest).

Joani Blank
Swan's Market Cohousing
Oakland, CA
(please send your reply to the list with a copy to me: joani [at] swansway.com)