Re: RE: process and the spirit of consensus
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:41:01 -0600 (MDT)
> If you follow a good process, then you'll have opportunity for questioning
> the outcome built in.  And if the outcome is good, the process was also.
> The means and the ends are inseparable except in abtraction and theory.

Actually this is the presumption that I was questioning. When you get to the
end of a process and the decision is not a good one, it is not appropriate
to say, "but we followed the process we agreed upon."

This is where process replaces concern for the quality of the decision and
for the consensus process.

The _spirit_ of consensus is that it creates no minorities in a group. No
dissatisfied lurkers in the corner who then obstruct implementation of a
decision.  Workable solutions have to meet the needs of all members of the
group or you are in _spirit_ using process to create majority rule
situations.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org