Re: business vs personal is a misleading dichotomy
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:34:02 -0600 (MDT)
> In a cohousing community, business and personal overlap, and business is
> driven by personal need -- which is what I was trying to get at earlier.

This is a very nice way to put it. In business, personal needs are important
and essential to having productive workers and contributing to a good social
system, but the measure of success is business -- being financially
productive and viable.

In cohousing, business serves personal needs. The measure of success is
personal happiness. Financial viability is important only to the extent that
it supports personal needs.

Excellent numbers and completed "to-do" lists may not produce happy people
which is what cohousing is intended to do.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org