Re: Re: business
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:34:10 -0600 (MDT)
> No, on the occasions when it's me that's guilty of the hysterical outburst,
> it's triggered by people taking the attitude that it doesn't matter if the
> job didn't get done, or was done badly, as long as everyone at the work
> party had a good time.

I have to hold my tongue so many times when people start talking about
having "fun". There are as many definitions of "fun" as there are of
"business" or "process".

In a session with a trainer we had hired to help us with process, I was
thoroughly engrossed with a demonstration of a method used to rate community
goals by their emotional values. It was squeezed in at the end of the
session and I couldn't wait for the next one to look at this more closely.
It seemed a very good way to get the cream to float to the top.

When the next session came, it had been decided that we didn't have enough
"fun" in the first session. The rating chart was scrapped and activities
involving balloons and tugs-of-war with towels were added.

Good things were learned from the balloons and towels but whether they were
"fun" was purely in the eye of the beholder.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org