Moving out for a job
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:50:03 -0600 (MDT)
Hi again -

Thanks for all the thoughtful answers I got, on and off list, to my question
about how long a commute cohousing is worth.  I'm still wrestling with that
one.  My husband and I will be househunting in DC in early May and plan to
actually do one of the possible commutes (1 hour 10 minute commuter train and a
15 minute walk) before we decide.

One person asked about my current commute and how I felt about it. For the
record, I drive 55 miles (one hour) on the interstate to work now - I go three
days a week and telecommute the other two - and the cohousing has been well
worth the 6 hours a week I'm on the road.

A few people have asked what job could be worth leaving cohousing for.  That's
what I love about cohousing in particular and intentional communities in
general, I don't think too many other Americans past the age of about 17 would
ask that question seriously.  Balancing one's life choices involves invoking
individual values, of course.  For us, community context matters a lot too, and
living in cohousing certainly has made our decision to take a promotion - even
for a really neat job - that meant a move out of our community much more
difficult.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eno Commons
Durham, NC
Where my 4BR house went on the market yesterday. Contact robert_heinich [at]
juno.com for info.