Re: A Sense of Place
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:27:01 -0600 (MDT)
> I sometimes wonder if cohousing communities take job prospects into
> account enough when making site decisions.  The proposals for rural sites
> at a distance from the nearest city in particular look suspect to me.

It was of great value to Takoma Village to be in a metropolitan area where
people could find jobs fairly readily. Several relocated from other states
during the process of organizing and building. One moved from out of state
after we were built.

We are also in a location where people can use public transportation to get
to work (a big plus), on the proposed bike trail connection from Maryland to
DC, and where people can reverse commute out of DC to the suburban areas and
small towns.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org