Re: 12 Angry Cohousers
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 07:43:18 -0600 (MDT)
Good posting, Sheila.

One of the problems I think we face nowadays, with the highly mobile
populations we have, is that the subtleties and nuances of language, both
spoken and body, vary considerably.  The reason we may communicate better if
our grandparents and parents lived in the same neighborhood is that we truly
do speak the same language.

Poor communication, then, may occur not because we aren't listening to each
other but because we're just not getting the nuances of what's being said.
It's getting worse because there are few, if any, generational neighborhoods
in the US anymore.  People living in any one neighborhood are more and more
frequently from many different places.  In cohousing, this is a given; we're
all from different places!  Hopefully, our cohousing neighborhoods will
encourage our children to stay and, in a generation or two, they'll all speak
the same language.

In the meantime, ever notice how easy it is to talk to folks from other
cohousing neighborhoods?  Having common experiences has given us a common
language.  That's pretty cool.

Roger Berman
Pathways
Northampton, MA