Re: thought needed on zoning problem
From: pattymara (pattymarajuno.com)
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 06:36:01 -0600 (MDT)
On Sat, 04 May 2002 09:52:37 -0400 Jill Robinson <jillrob [at] carolina.net>
writes:
> The Greenfield, MA cohousing project was instigated in part to
> preserve
> an
> historic farm from commercial development.

Though this is an obvious observation, I'll offer it anyway.  The fact
that you are preserving an historic farm from commercial development, is
to me, the best reason of all.  Will you as a cohousing community be
working to keep the farm operational?  Will it have a community supported
agriculture component, or some kind of sustainable farming because of you
being there?
So much farmland is being sacrificed to either corporate agriculture or
development.  To be able to preserve and maintain a small farm is a true
gift to your greater community, particularly if earth- and
people-friendly sustainable farming practices are followed.

Best of luck to you,
coheartedly,
Patty Mara Gourley
Tierra Nueva Cohousing, central CA coast, where our Farm Without Harm
neighborhood coalition is actively seeking to replace a monocultured,
pesticide-drenched bordering farm field with biodiversive community
supported agriculture.