Dilettantes- was Waiting Lists
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddessattbi.com)
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 06:36:07 -0600 (MDT)
Maybe this will help your perspective. I hope it helps somebody, because
I've been getting annoyed about this.

We have so many requests for buying into Southside Park that I tell everyone
there's little chance of them ever getting a house here. I just had yet
another person email me asking how to buy a house here, as if it's just a
slightly different, but just as easy, real estate transaction.

I'm glad there is enthusiasm, but if everyone who wanted to live in
cohousing would just get off their butts and DO IT, there's be at least
three times the number of communities.

I don't think you need a wait list, honest. You won't be able to beat them
off with a stick. The important thing is to separate the wheat from the
chaff. Have a policy in place about making them participate before they buy
in so that the community can tell if they will be a good fit. I don't
remember the exact parameters, but we want people to come to general
meetings, cook, and do work parties before they buy. As I've said before,
there's no way to legally enforce this, but generally people who are leaving
want to find someone to replace them who will be good for the community.

There's a whole lotta chaff out there.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing