Waiting Lists
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 15:54:07 -0600 (MDT)
> I don't think you need a wait list, honest. You won't be able to beat them
> off with a stick. The important thing is to separate the wheat from the
> chaff. Have a policy in place about making them participate before they buy
> in so that the community can tell if they will be a good fit. I don't
> remember the exact parameters, but we want people to come to general
> meetings, cook, and do work parties before they buy. As I've said before,
> there's no way to legally enforce this, but generally people who are leaving
> want to find someone to replace them who will be good for the community.

I was going to avoid this thread but Liz said it so clearly I just wanted to
second this. We have been built for less than 2 years and get requests all
the time. We already have people who are friends of the community who are
ready to buy units as well as members who want to move to larger units or
smaller units.

Worrying about reselling and waiting lists is the least of your worries.

It is good to have clear agreements about the process for reselling units.
Who is informed first and does the community have right of first refusal? Do
current residents have right of first refusal or to match offers?

Our community has 45 days to buy the unit at the offered price and 3 days
after an offer is made to match the offer. This protects the community from
a vindictive member who might sell to someone not welcome in the community.
And it protects the seller who thinks the community's offer is too low
and/or needs to sell faster than the community can get its act together.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org