Re: thought needed on zoning problem
From: Fred H Olson (fholsontcfreenet.org)
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 16:18:01 -0600 (MDT)
Chris Scheuer Center for Sustainable Systems School of Natural Resources
and Environment University of Michigan cscheuer [at] umich.edu
is the author of the message below.

Note I am posting this so I can put back the subject line (rather than
"Digest")  Joani and I apologise for posting a message with a whole digest
quoted.  (The size limit restriction on posted messages has changed so I
did not notice it's size.)

DIGEST SUBSCRIBERS  - PLEASE reply carefully to cohousing-L messages.
   be sure to:
1) restore subject line
2) delete / dont quote more of the message than needed

Fred  cohousing-L list manager

I don't know if this will get to the right person in time, or has already
been said but I have seen similar statements about the 3-1 cost ratios of
housing. I think however this is one of those deceptive statistics. While
residential neighborhoods, "bring in" less in taxes than an office park the
number of people living there also work in the greater community and buy
and sell goods in the community. The total $ brought in by a residential
community is much higher than just the tax base. I believe that for a local
economy residentially related purchases (food, clothing, entertainment,
services, equipment, construction etc.) could surpass business related
purchases (not as a whole but purchases within the local economy)  Besides
the office park employees have to live somewhere as well. You can't have
business development without residential development.

Chris

--On Monday, May 06, 2002, 12:01 PM -0500 cohousing-l-request [at] cohousing.org
wrote:

> > The argument being used against our proposal is that a 'subdivision' of
> > residential homes costs a town roughly three times more than it brings
> > in
> > in revenues.  The costs are primarily for schooling the children of the
> > community, but also include police & fire protection, snow plowing, etc.
> >
> > Any thoughts or countervailing arguments that cohousers have to support
> > our
> > case would be appreciated.

Chris Scheuer
Master of Science in Architecture