Re: Size of Cohousing Communities
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddessattbi.com)
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 17:05:09 -0600 (MDT)
> The Colorado Springs Cohousing Community is currently in
> construction (!!).  We originally planned 34 units.  A disproportionate
> number of those units were the largest & most expensive (10 of the most
> expensive, 8/8/8/ of the others).  The expensive units have not been
> selling well (currently 3 out 10), while all of the least expensive
> units have sold out, with a waiting list.  We have the chance now to
> switch out one duplex of the most expensive to a fourplex of the least.
> This would mean increasing our community from 34 to 36 households.  Does
> anyone have any data or comments about the effects of increasing a
> community from 34 to 36 households?  This has emerged as a topic of
> concern.  The first batch of units are scheduled for move-in this
> September, with all units being completed by approx. 10 months from
> now.  Many, many thanks for your input,
>
> ------------------------------------
> Dick Kohlhaas

You should change to the less expensive units for the following reasons:

That is what will sell now, so it will probably be what will sell later.

If the units are smaller, you're not really looking at much of an increase
in the number of people. There's not much of a correlation between unit size
and number of people anyway. We have maybe 10 less people now than we did a
few years ago, all because of changing demographics in our homes. Two more
units won't make any difference in the long run.

More people amongst whom to spread out the HOA dues for the same amount of
land & common house.

Cheaper units means more diversity. Yeah!

Why on Earth hold out for expensive unit buyers when you have a waiting list
of buyers for smaller units right now? These people want in on the
community, and I say why hold onto something that isn't working?

Good luck.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing