Dancing Rabbit Cohousing?
From: Fred H Olson (fholsontcfreenet.org)
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 07:04:02 -0600 (MDT)
I was browsing the Dancing Rabbit ecovillage's web site the other day.
http://www.dancingrabbit.org/

Currently more like a rural intentional community in North Eastern
Missouri  (for other Iowa centric folks, its about 100 miles south of Iowa
City ), they have a big vision that could include cohousing:

But their vision is to evolve over a long period of time (decades)  and
"grow to be a small locally self-reliant town of 500 to 1000 residents,
committed to radical environmental sustainability. We will be housed in a
variety of living arrangements, eat a variety of foods, and work on varied
projects. It will be a society flexible enough to include egalitarian
communities, cohousing, and individual households. But while we may have
different approaches to some issues, the common desire for environmental
sustainability will underlie all key decisions at Dancing Rabbit."

"The Society of Communities model describes our vision of people living in
a variety of smaller communities within the town of Dancing Rabbit."

See their site for more detail. http://www.dancingrabbit.org/

In light of:

o the recent discussion "A Sense of Place"
  see: http://nzpp.virtualave.net/coho/search.pl?string=%22of+place%22
o Rob's contention that it's easier to live and work anywhere
  see: http://csf.colorado.edu/cohousing/2002/msg00955.html
o the difficulty of finding land
o the possibility - likelyhood? - that a community could be built there
  that is much more affordable

Is there interest in forming community to move to Missouri?

It seems like a challenge to me for a group to organize if they are
currently widely dispersed.  Possible strategies:

o Meet online mostly (a mailing list?) and gather occasionally.
o Have a conference on site with the specific intent of evolving to a core
  group.
o A small core group move to DR and evolve from there.

Could it work?

It seems to me that groups do generally evolve in a "place" of some sort,
but maybe there is another way.

Fred

--
TEMP ADDRESS 4/9/02 My "From:" address has temporarily changed;
My preferred address IS NOW and  continues to be as below.