Re: Affordable Unit Lotteries
From: Elizabeth Stevenson (tamgoddessattbi.com)
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 17:39:01 -0600 (MDT)
I would strongly discourage that method of selling the affordable units. See
if you can make a deal with the city that your group will pre-qualify the
buyers of those units. the history of people getting into cohousing just for
the affordability is not good-it's dismal, in fact. We had one person who
caused us much grief before moving out. If we had had ten of them, we would
not have survived as a cohousing community.

Try to explain the nature of cohousing to the city and see if there's
someone sympathetic to your plans for cohousing. Let them know that there is
a poor history of success where price is the only motivation. Maybe you can
get someone to listen.

--
Liz Stevenson
Southside Park Cohousing