Re: affordable unit lotteries
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 18:18:01 -0600 (MDT)
>Basically we worked out a deal with the city of Cambridge (MA).  People
>went through most of the city's process first.  Then they had to go
>through our normal membership process of an orientation plus becoming an
>associate member and attending 5 Cornerstone events, including joining a
>committee.  Plus they had to attend a workshop on the consensus process.
>Then we did our normal full member consensus process

[Aside: I guess Cornerstone must be a co-op, or otherwise have a legal
structure that allows new members to be screened. In most open-market
real estate situations, screening would be against anti-discrimination
rules, I'd assume.]

This makes me think of how at RoseWind Cohousing (Port Townsend
Washington) we dealt with Habitat for Humanity on the two lots they were
involved with. Perhaps a variant of this approach could work in this
"affordable housing lottery" situation. In our case it boiled down to

One of the two families would be fronted by the cohousing project, and
would be accepted if they also met Habitat's criteria.

The other family would be fronted by Habitat, contingent upon
a) having enough exposure to RoseWind to be able to make a well-informed
decision about wanting to be part of it (in practice, this involved with
touring around and talking to the outreach members, coming to a potluck
and a meeting)
b) having another choice (ie taking the cohousing deal was not the only
way the family could receive the subsidy deal: they could also go the
conventional-housing route)

Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
http://www.rosewind.org
Where a second resale home will soon be available (I'll post it to the
list): a beautiful sunny geodesic dome, designed by a talented artist. 3
BR, balcony-style second floor. Exceptional yard and garden. Inquiries to
me [welcome [at] olympus.net], not the list, of course.