re CH cooking rotation
From: HeidiNYS (HeidiNYSaol.com)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 14:37:50 -0600 (MDT)
Dear Becky,

We have meals 3x p week; two are 'team meals', and one a pot-luck.  It's
about four yrs since move-in, tho our CH was built after move-in.
Wstarted to have that kind of tracking system.  We still track, tho don't
enforce any cooking requirement.  We do continue using sign-up/sign-in
sheets, and these were being tallied monthly.  We naturally developed away
from this.  We tend to often have great meals!!  Our biggest turn-outs are
for our weekly sunday evening dinners.  Some folks are more available to
cook, we have folks here who are retired, for example.  Some folks love
cooking for group in commonhouse.  What we found was that when some folks
were encouraged to cook tho they don't love to...... their efforts could
perhaps be better used elsewhere.
Not sure this is a whole lot of help!!
Four years after move-in, we are likely to expand.  We started w 12
households, and may expand to 18.  this will mean cooking for perhaps half
again as many folks, and we may be asking for advice/recipes in cooking for a
larger crowd!

One thing we do, w such questions, is to have quarterly Community Living Days
on one particular topic.  This gives a chance to chew thru topics needing
more time than a piece of a regular meeting.  Our next, for ex, will be on
the question of work/money/aging in community in relation to ability to work.
 We will be working in small groups and each group will have time to work on
several scenarios pertaining to one topic.  Kind of like improv theatre.
Then we'll re-gather and see where we are.  This was inspired by a specific
issue that came up.
May be a way to decide similar big questions for youse!
best,
Ruth Hirsch
Cantines Island, Saugerties
In a message dated 5/28/02 1:01:35 PM, cohousing-l-request [at] cohousing.org