Advertising advice
From: pattymara (pattymarajuno.com)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 08:35:01 -0600 (MDT)
Dear List,
Once again, Chris nails it right on the money.  Advertising is a waste of
money, in conventional, print ad formats.  The alternatives worked for
us, the local public radio station volunteer time (with plugs, interview
shows etc) worked for us, and the "posters in the right places" worked
for us.  We advertised in the Cohousing Journal for a couple of years
with a quarter page ad, because the price was very affordable, but I'm
not sure if it hooked us any hot buyers.  We just felt good about
supporting the journal.

This all happened over four years ago when Tierra Nueva was in our
marketing phase.  In the past year, we have had a couple of resales, and
the owners used the classified ads on the cohousing website.  They did
get responses from that.   I have a feeling that a group website, with a
link to the national cohousing website, is one of the best ways to get
the word out.   Getting the address of your website out:  alternative
press, public radio, posters in the right places.  It's all a circle.

coheartedly,
Patty Mara
Tierra Nueva, central CA coast

mmm