Re: Intergenerational Activities
From: Howard Landman (howardpolyamory.org)
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 17:58:06 -0600 (MDT)
> Patty said: "Many of
> the young families here were propelled into cohousing by the what I call
> the "Myth of the Many Grandparents".  They looked forward to numerous
> seniors, always available, eager to become stand-in grandmas and grandpas
> to their children, babysitting, doing activities, sharing their wisdom.
> The reality is far from the myth."

Well, Carol and I had twins in January, and for us the myth was somewhat
true, although I'd say it really was more like many aunts and uncles.
Many people offered to take care of the twins so we could run an errand
or try to catch up on lost sleep.  A group organized itself to cook us
dinners several nights a week.  In a few weeks, with the babies 5 months
old, we'll be getting an au pair.  But I don't know how we would have
survived the first few months without the help of our community

There were no "expectations".  We didn't expect any of this.  It was
just a wonderful, wonderful gift.

        Howard A. Landman
        River Rock Commons
        Fort Collins, CO