Re: Guy stuff? and odd couples
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 13:05:13 -0600 (MDT)
> At RoseWind, the answer would probably be, "machines to play with!". [snip]
> I was surprised when several other groups commented that they had mostly
> women doing the meal clean up: here it's a big guy-thing, maybe because
> we have a spray table and professional blast-it-with-hot-water-and-soap
> dishwashing machine: big handles to operate! big roar as it rinses!
> colored lights to show it's on! Another man does major duty with our
> built-in vacuum system, cleaning nearly all the floors in the place every
> week. Roar! Buzz! Whoosh!

We have the same thing in our bi-weekly commonhouse cleaning. The tables are
literally folded up and the chairs stacked and moved out of the room to the
workshop so the floor can be mopped. Restaurants do this every night, right?
Last week all the sunroom furniture was moved to the piazza --  sofas and
rocking chairs around the fountain.

Our tables are very heavy, takes two to lift them. We have 60 chairs. One
person shows up just for the lifting.

It's a guy thing and they do a great job.

Remember the story about my 5 year old son who considered vacuuming a boy
job because it involved a machine?

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org