Re: Question from a non-Cohousing Interested Party
From: Martie Weatherly (martiewearthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 06:28:22 -0600 (MDT)
Hi Sandy. I am 65, not retired but love living in cohousing. My children
are grown and I live alone in a wonderful home, with close friends all
around of all ages, including children. I would never want to live in a
retirement community. I have people to walk with, to help do things I
can't do (like put up window shades), to go to the movies, to just hang
out, to make plans, and even to argue sometimes. I feel so safe, coming
home late at night and walking to my house.

Our community is like most, I believe. The houses are private homes and
are sold like any home. We have half our lots built and have not had a
resale yet. But I imagine we will handle it the same as any new member -
asking the prospect to find out about cohousing before deciding to buy -
come to meetings, get to know us, find out how we operate. Mostly if
people do not want to live in a community, they select themselves out. I
understand that most cohousing homes hold up very well in resale and
actually increase in value.

I think this is the best option for retirement.

Martie Weatherly
Liberty Village, MD
martiew [at] earthlink.net