Re: Diversity??? Why, yes, thanks. We have lots. How about you?
From: Cheryl A. Charis-Graves (ccharisjeffco.k12.co.us)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:04:01 -0600 (MDT)
I'm sorry that this came across as personal criticism of your group. It was
meant to be a general comment, to a point that I think is important and not
often addressed. It is something I feel strongly about, and as a result I
responded too quickly, out of emotion, and my writing was not clear. I
apologize.

In fact, I feel that my community is not as aware as I would like us to be
of persons who think differently from us. It is not outright prejudice
against the usual targets. And obviously, it is not correct to say it is
true of all persons.

However, I have felt that there is an underlying assumption that people vote
a certain way, think a certain way, and that the values that go along with
this philosophy are the "correct" values. In general, as a group we fail to
recognize that others might see a situation differently and have what they
believe to be good reasons for their perceptions. A Republican or even a
Libertarian would most likely feel marginalized in our presence. Our
neighbors, in fact, became highly offended when "we" assumed they would join
us in a specific political protest. They were so offended that they
countered with a specific political action of their own. This is the kind of
action/reaction that I think is harmful to us all.

Again, I am sorry I caused offense. It was my own failure in communciation
that caused this, and I regret my clumsiness.

Cheryl