Re: Diversity???
From: Racheli Gai (jnpalmeattglobal.net)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:04:19 -0600 (MDT)
>From Racheli
Sonora Cohousing.

Cheryl wrote (in part):

>> It seems fundamentally wrong for one group to decide they don't want another
>> group "in their presence" because of philosophical differences. This seems
>> dangerous and hypocritical, to say the least.

I disagree emphatically.
First, as Liz said, in the case of her community, the issue was a
commercial enterprise, which is a separate issue.
But I also happen to think that a community can decide that there are
certain groups they don't want to have in their midst.  This would
include, for example, explicitly supremacist groups, which obviously
aren't looking for ways to encourage diversity.
I think such groups have a right to exist, but don't see why this is a
kind of "diversity" we need to embrace.

R.  (Who doesn't have time to get into it in greater depth at the moment).