Re: Motivations and Realities
From: Racheli Gai (jnpalmeattglobal.net)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:09:01 -0600 (MDT)
>From Racheli
Sonora Cohousing, Tucson.

Hi Ormond,
I don't see why wanting to include low-income people makes
it a zero-sum situation: It seems to me that if you can manage to do it,
you allow a larger chunk of the population to join. (Even though it might
be true that you might lose a few people  who object to lower
middle-class, or non-middle class participants)...  However, some people
won't join, for example, if they can't have a house  which includes a
special room for their car(s) - but this particular feature attracts
others.  The point is that a group needs to decide what their values and
passions are, and pursue those with the hope that there are others out
there who will be attracted.  AND: the more a group can manage to get the
financial hurdles out of the way, the easier time  it will have selling
homes (other things being equal).

R. (Who has many friends who can't afford living in cohousing).