Re: Motivations and Realities
From: Racheli Gai (jnpalmeattglobal.net)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:23:01 -0600 (MDT)
>From Racheli

Hi Howard.
I think the assumption is that high-income people
CAN join (and can upgrade their houses either as
part of the initial process, or once they move in),
while - unless special efforts are made - it's the ones
with sufficient financial resources who are kept out.

You could argue that cohousing as it exists doesn't have
enough amenities and such to attract the truly-rich (whatever that means:
we are all stinking rich compared to the vast
majority of world population), but then: how do you decide
when enough is enough?

Here are two observations from my experience:
What counts as "amenity", and what counts as a "basic
necessity" varies a lot, depending on where one grew
up.  As someone who grew up in Israel at a time when
barely anyone had a phone, or a car, or ...  I was amazed
by the kind of stuff people here seemed to "need" (when we
were doing the programming work)...

Another observation is that if a group has people who are
motivated, at least partially, by environmental concerns (and most
cohousing groups do include such individuals),
this would exert pressure to cut down on "amenities", since
part of an environmental consciousness (in many cases)
is the realization that the US uses an enormous chunk of the
planet resources at the expense of other people and the
ecosystem at large.

R.