Re: Re: [C-L] Diversity in Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:33:02 -0600 (MDT)
> This thread is hilarious. But what does it have to do with real issues in
> cohousing? And we have plenty of them! I would suggest that people relate
> actual experiences in building a diverse cohousing community rather than
> these very imaginative hypothetical cases.

But they aren't hypothetical. People who want some of these things are
turned away by groups all the time. And in some cases just not invited
because their friends know that they would not be able to get what they need
in cohousing as the groups are currently defining themselves.

In Florida, the wife of a rock band star who traveled a lot was interested
because her husband traveled so much but she couldn't get a commitment from
the group to assure her he would have a music room available to him when he
was home. One was planned but .... no promises. We were not a lot
development model and all the units were too small for his professional
needs.

A man in Texas left a group because they changed from including an Olympic
size pool and other amenities to building low cost housing.

The workshare requirements are always of concern in new member orientations
-- people just can't see that they have any more hours in the day to do
anything more than they are doing presently. Single mothers, young lawyers,
etc. are frequently working 60 hour weeks already.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org