Re: Re: [C-L] Diversity in Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 07:56:01 -0600 (MDT)
> And there's something about that which seems almost elemental. Perhaps as a
> truth about problem-solving in general, or groups in general. Basically, I
> think it means dropping our "positions" and looking for what satisfies the
> basic need (which can be tricky to identify). That has been written about
> before by many others, both on this listserv and in well-known books on the
> subject. I wonder what it takes for a group to come to that awareness and
> function at that level on a day-in/day-out basis?

One thing I experience almost daily is that people don't want to engage with
a question long enough to sort out their assumptions and weigh them against
actual implications and ramifications. It is much easier to go with the
current politically correct position.

The truths of today may not be the truths of tomorrow but for the moment
they are all we have to go on. Our gut feelings may be our best guide to the
best action but it takes time to sort out why the gut is responding as it
is. Or the heart. Love is not enough. It may be a good start but it only
means more hard work down the line.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org